Keeping up with advertising restrictions is a key factor in managing a successful influencer campaign, but can be very difficult considering the rules are different for every platform AND they're updated and changing constantly. One example of this is a recent update from Pinterest recently banning weight-loss ads, something that drastically changes how a nutrition company is able to advertise its products. Instead of digging around through the internet, or worse, having your ads blocked after all your hard work, save yourself time with the complete list below of advertising restrictions on social networks (as of August 2021).
Facebook and Instagram
Here is the list of advertising restrictions that are allowed on Facebook and/or Instagram only after you’ve met Facebook requirements.
- Online Gambling and Gaming
- Promotion of Online Pharmacies
- Promotion of Over-The-Counter Drugs
- Subscription Services
- Financial and Insurance Products and Services
- Branded Content
- Ads About Social Issues, Elections or Politics
- Disclaimers for Ads About Social Issues, Elections or Politics
- Cryptocurrency Products and Services
- Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment
- Cosmetic Procedures and Wellness
- Social Casino Games
- Promotion of Prescription Drugs
TikTok restricts the following ad content.
- Gambling and Lotteries
- Religion and Culture
- Protection of Minors
- Weight Control/Management
- Body Image
- HFSS Food and Drink (HFSS is short for foods high in fat, salt or sugar)
Here is the full list of restricted ads on LinkedIn.
- Animal Products
- Dating Services
- Soliciting Funds
- Short Term Loans
Twitter has advertising restrictions that are easy to follow. The social media platform does not allow out-of-the-ordinary ads.
- Adult Sexual Content
- Alcohol Content:
- Cause-based Advertising
- Counterfeit Goods
- Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia
- Endangered Species
- Financial Products and Services
- Gambling Content
- Hateful Content
- Inappropriate Content
- Malware and Software Downloads
- Political Content
- Prohibited Content for Minors
- State Media
- Tobacco and Tobacco Accessories
- Unauthorized Ticket Sales
- Unacceptable Business Practices
- Weapons and Weapon Accessories
Pinterest restricts the following ad content.
- Contests and Sweepstakes
- Financial Products
- Gambling Products
- Healthcare Products
- Weight Loss Products and Services
Reddit’s restricted ad lists follow suit like any other social media platform. Here are some of the ads that Reddit restricts.
- Third-Party Rights
- Gambling and Gambling Related Services
- Political Advertisements
- Unofficial Resale of Event Tickets
- Live Animals
- Dating Services
- Financial/Cryptocurrency Products and Services
- Health and Wellness
- Recreational Drugs
When it comes to advertising on social networks, you have to follow the rules if you want your investment to be successful. Following the above guidelines will ensure your ads get approved faster and ultimately reach your audiences.
Keep up with the latest and greatest in the influencer marketing industry, I encourage you to subscribe to our e-newsletter, The Spin, below.
Subscribe to The Spin Newsletter